Customized State Smart Growth Legislation ProgramA
The Customized State Smart Growth Legislation Program provides assistance to state REALTOR® Associations to take the lead in writing and introducing legislation to help the state better address the challenges of growth and improve local communities. NAR will offer, at a reduced rate to the association, the services of respected land-use consultant, Robinson & Cole, to draft state legislation on Smart Growth issues (i.e., new zoning enabling legislation, requirements for local planning, changes in subdivision law, open space protection). These proposals must be related to land-use and smart growth, and should involve issues that can gain support from a constituency beyond REALTORS®.
What does the program provide?
- Drafting by experienced land-use attorneys of legislation to achieve specific ends identified by the state REALTOR® Association
- Advice on legislative strategy
- Development of talking points
- Assistance with coalition development
- Limited direct lobbying
What is the state REALTOR® Association expected to do?
- Fully commit to a legislative campaign
- Identify specific objectives the legislation is to achieve
- Appoint a legislative committee or task force (if none already exists)
- Participate in strategy and coalition development
- Secure bill sponsor
- Organize member contact teams to lobby legislators
Questions? Contact Joe Molinaro at 202-383-1175.